Tuesday, June 11, 2013

More Than a (Headless) Mistress



My friend Val pretty much dared me to read this book.  We are both voracious readers, but our tastes seem pretty divergent: she prefers Regency romance while I prefer contemporary fiction or mental health memoirs. Anyway, she is so excited about her favourite author, Mary Balogh, that she insisted I read one of her books.  The only one the library had when we happened to visit was this one, "More Than a Mistress".  I am immediately disturbed by the way the pictured Mistress has no head, seeming to belie the title's insistence that she is More Than a sexual, objectified body.

So, I've managed to read a whole ten pages so far (Val's insistence that the book would take me only a few hours failed to take into account the fact that I would prefer to read almost anything other than romance novels).  I figure if I hold myself accountable by posting reviews every few days, I'll have to keep reading, right?  Anyway, the plot of the book ... well, here's a link to the synopsis, and here's the absolutely shocking summary: a DUKE hires a SERVANT GIRL to be his NURSE.  She is BOLD.  He is DEVILISH.  Though LOVE was the last thing on their minds, GUESS WHAT HAPPENS: a PASSION that drives them to RISK EVERYTHING.  Also (not pictured): EYES that one could DROWN IN.

The book opens with the arrogant Duke about to fight a duel.  Turns out, he's been accused of sleeping with another man's wife, and the man demands satisfaction.  Whether the Duke did or didn't is not yet clear, but do the math: he is arrogant and devilish, after all.  The aforementioned servant girl with drown-hazard eyes bursts onto the scene at a crucial moment and stops the duel, for no reason other than she hates dueling, I guess?  While the Duke is distracted by her shout, his opponent shoots him in the leg, which allows the absolutely awesome outburst by one of the Duke's entourage: "Shame!  For shame, Oliver!"  This immediately conjured in my mind the weird custom we used as elementary school kids to indicate shame: holding out the pointer finger of one hand and "shaving" it with the pointer finger of the other hand.  I have no idea what this is supposed to mean but it kind of looks like you are peeling a carrot.  Do children still do this?

The Duke, despite being shot, stands his ground, and then, "as he had done at every previous duel in which he had been engaged," he fired his pistol into the air instead of into his opponent.  So from this, we learn several things: One, the Duke is not only DEVILISH but also BADASS*, as he can stand perfectly still after being shot.  Also, he's been in lots of duels before.  And finally, and most puzzling, he has never actually killed his opponent in a duel (although that's kind of the point of a duel?  I think?) - but neither has he been killed.  So, I guess everyone in the area is a crappy shot?  Looks like his current opponent (For Shame Oliver) is the most able duellist so far: at least he managed to shoot someone in the leg.  He will probably end up with a new career as a shooting instructor.

*Despite the fact that is name is - no kidding - JOCELYN.  His buddy is named CONAN.  Mary Balogh likes giving her male characters awesome names!

Nothing else very interesting happens in the next few pages.  Duke Jocelyn heads home to his private doctor to have his leg attended to.  He gives the servant girl (who is as yet nameless) a coin to make up for her being late for work.  Also of note, she is described thusly: "her cheeks ... flushed with anger.  They paled at his words, and she stared at him wide-eyed, her lips compressed in a hard line."  So apparently she does have a head, despite what the book cover would have you believe.

Next time: Servant Girl gets a name!

10 comments:

  1. An edit - I did not recommend this book because I was "so excited" but rather to torture. Also, I do believe it is unfair to dismiss an entire genre of literature without actually reading one. So there!

    The point of a duel in Regency romance is to define the character of the two doing the duelling. I believe (can't remember) duelling was actually illegal at the time, or at least highly frowned upon, so there would be dire consequences for the winner if he actually got a kill shot (unlike Georgian romances, where it is acceptable to kill your opponent in the 1760s). In this scene, we are shown that Oliver is a coward (he shot when his opponent was distracted) and our hero is gallant and honorable. He would have been justified in injuring or killing Oliver at this point, but instead he took the high road and shot into the air. He has also taken the high road during all previous duels. He is not a bully.

    Anyway, romance novels are my fantasy escapist time. And I like the dresses, and I like minute historical detail. I spend all sorts of time in the real world and enjoy unrealistic happily ever after stories. I also watch and enjoy terrible teen movies. It's easy on my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I check back and follow Laura's detailed review of this book will I be excused from actually reading it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No.

      I do wonder if I still have this book. I seem to recall reading it recently, but that may have been one of the related ones in the series. Laura's awesome review is making me a) jealous of her writing ability and b) want to write a coordinating review of the same book from a romance fan.

      PS. Laura, Carole is the author of that one book I have added to my goodreads list, which I an giving you to read. Carole, I don't believe Laura intends to dissect it piece by piece. Also, when is your next book coming out?

      Delete
    2. Val, you are making other people read this book too? Your forceful personality knows no bounds.

      Carole, I just might dissect the whole thing. For fun, and to annoy Val, and as an interesting writing exercise. Possibly also as a way to rationalize reading romance in the first place. I am looking forward to reading your book!

      Delete
    3. No. I was actually unaware that Carole felt any sort of pressure to read it, but since she asked I felt bound to require it of her.

      Delete
  3. If only I had listened to Val and written romance...something like 50 Shades of Grey maybe, I would have a best seller by now. As it is my rather wholesome YA novel with a bit of romance in it is floating out there in the ether somewhere. Publishing business is really sad these days. I am working on a gardening memoir...that should be gripping. I am just SO in touch with the literary market.
    So have you read 50 Shades of Grey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all three 50 Shades of Grey novels. Even I will admit that they are godawful terrible. I read them for... er... the obvious reasons... but also out of interest in the publishing industry itself. That woman is a craptastic writer, BUT she chose the right topic at the right time (Twilight for the 20-something moms the original fans had become) and made a buttload (pun intended) of money, as you observed.

      Delete
    2. This past summer at the pool, it seemed everyone was reading it. Well being a lady of a certain age, I feared that a show of prurient interest like this might be considered unseemly so I ordered a copy for my Kindle...even more discreet than a brown paper wrapper. I got into the book right away though it wasn't quite what I expected. In my book Mr.Grey was a cat. And a mystery was developing nicely. I kept waiting for the S&M and the racy bits but when I got to page 100 without so much as a smack on the butt I began to wonder if I had the right book.

      I called my younger sister who is more in the know about things. "Oh," she said, "You're reading Shades of Grey by Dulcie Schwartz." I checked my Kindle...Yup that was what I was reading.
      Quite enjoyed it too. It's part of a series. I may order more of them. As for FIFTY Shades of Grey? Well I decided to forego that read. I am more the cat mystery type anyway.

      Delete
    3. I need to review something now. But I'm reminded why I enjoyed talking with Carole so much and think her most recent comment makes a pretty good blog post on its own.

      I tried to post a comment about covers (you will see the link I did manage to post). Mary Balogj has a rather interesting blog herself and has a post about the different cover art for different versions of her novel The Proposal. My favourite is the British version. Least is the US paperback version. If you scroll through her bibliography though you will see that everyone has a head. I wonder if your observation about this particular novel is an intentional artistic choice or if it was just circumstance or a bad artist. I don't think the authors themselves have much say over the cover art on these things.

      Delete
  4. http://www.marybalogh.com/judging-a-book-by-its-cover/

    ReplyDelete