Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Frozen Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bites


Last week, I saw this recipe on my Facebook feed and resolved to try it.  There are three ingredients: bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate.  All of those things are awesome and could only be made more awesome by their powers combined.  Plus, the recipe seemed SUPER simple. 


I followed the step-by-step instructions on Snapguide, with one exception: I made double-decker versions instead of open-face.  First, I cut the bananas into coins and put them on a parchment-paper-covered cookie sheet.



The next step called for me to spread peanut butter on each of the banana coins.  I chose to melt the peanut butter a bit, because nearly everything delicious becomes more delicious when melted (see: cheese, butter, chocolate, ice cream).  I applied the peanut butter with my frosting thingy, which made it look either adorable or like runny poo, depending on your point of view. 


The next step is to put more banana coins on top of the peanut butter layer.  Around this time is when I started to remember that banana coins are pretty unpleasant to handle.  All squishy and slippery.  The top coins did a lot of sliding around and sometimes took the peanut butter with them as they slid right off the bottom coins.  Annoying!


Then I put the tray of double-decker banana bites into the freezer for about 10 minutes to help them firm up.  This is what the inside of my freezer looks like.  Awful, isn’t it?  I can never find ANYTHING.



In retrospect, I can tell that I should have left those suckers in there for 30 minutes or more to make sure the bananas lost their slipperiness and really embraced their new role of peanut-butter-delivery-system.  But I didn’t.  And that is why things started to go horribly wrong in the next step. 



Now I have to add chocolate.  The guide says to do this via dipping the sandwich into melted chocolate which is at a “dipping, not spreading” consistency.  I dipped a few of them, but they often fell apart in the dipping bowl, and they also returned to the tray with a LOT of extra (i.e., wasted) chocolate.  I ended up melting way more chocolate than I would have anticipated (about 2 cups of melting wafers) and as you can see, the chocolate didn’t so much enrobe the bananas as languish in their presence.

Because the giant pools of melted chocolate took up so much room, I ended up having to use a second cookie sheet.  This one had to go in my deep freeze.  There wasn’t any room for a cookie sheet (even the small ones that I use) to go into the freezer and remain level.  So guess what happened?  The cookie sheet tipped over and spilled banana-peanut-butter-chocolate-goo all over my deep freeze.  I anticipate I will be finding frozen chunks of this mess for months to come.  But there is an upside to this catastrophe: it gave me the idea for an upcoming blog post, “Ten Things I Really Hate About My House.”  Stay tuned!


So after being in the freezer for a few hours, I took the bananas off the cookie sheets and transferred them to an airtight container.  Here is a picture of how much chocolate remained on the parchment paper when I did that.  It is a TRAVESTY.


And here is a picture of the super-appetizing, “completed” peanut butter banana bites.  Yup, I nailed that one so hard they’re going to have to start calling me “Hammer”.



They are about as delicious as they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment